How Preschoolers Learn
Explore how preschoolers learn through several general learning approaches and four learning styles.
Explore ways preschoolers learn through general approaches to learning and through four learning styles. Apply the learning styles by using these in activities, in interest areas of the classroom, and in Group Time. This course will help leaders plan engaging activities for preschoolers by preparing them to keep in mind how preschoolers learn.
Preschoolers are ready to learn from the time they are born. During the preschool years of life, so much learning takes place! Preschoolers learn in all areas of growth—physically, mentally, socially, emotionally, and spiritually. In this course, you will explore the ways preschoolers learn. You will look at several general approaches to learning, and discover four learning styles through which preschoolers learn. You will consider ways to use these learning styles to encourage preschoolers in learning about God and missions. The course offers information and interactive learning activities to help you nurture preschoolers as they learn.
- How Preschoolers Learn is a self-paced, 30-day course. You can work on each learning activity or assignment when it is most convenient for you for 30 days after registering for the class. Your registration day is considered one of the 30 days. You will be notified 2–3 days before the end of your 30-day course period and again when the 30 days have expired. If the 30 days expire before you have completed the course work, you will need to re-register and pay the registration fee again to complete the course.
- The course was designed so participants could complete all of the learning activities and assignments in no more than 4 hours. This time could vary based on personal learning style. However, you should be able to easily complete this course within the 30-day period by committing at least 1 hour per week during this time frame.
- During the 30 days you are registered for How Preschoolers Learn, you will be able to access and view all of the information from the learning activities and assignments. However, once an assignment is submitted, you will not be able to change your responses.
- As a participant, you will have a personal online portfolio that will remain available to you after completing this course and maintaining a profile on this site. During the 30 days you are registered for this course, you will be able to save files of your work and some of the course information in your portfolio for future reference. You will receive a prompt asking if you would like to save some of the files from the course information or files of your work in your portfolio throughout the course. Be sure to save the files you want to be able to view in your portfolio after you complete the course .
- This Develop course has been created for your personal and ministry development. Part of the learning experience is the opportunity to interact with and receive feedback online from WMU leaders as you complete the learning activities and assignments. Rather than receiving a grade at the end of this course, your course work will either be "Complete" or "Incomplete." If you complete and submit the assignments in the course and receive satisfactory feedback from the WMU facilitator, you will receive a "Complete" at the end of the course.
- This course is designed to help you LEARN about preschool characteristics as you complete five modules based on the acronym LEARN. Each module has been created with an educationally sound purpose that will assist you in gaining the most you can from the course. Take time to become acquainted with the LEARN modules so you are familiar with the course framework before you begin:
In each module there are short training videos, learning activities, and assignments. Assignments are opportunities for you to apply what you are learning about preschoolers and assess what you know about the learning styles. Upon completion of an assignment, you will be prompted to submit the assignment to your WMU course facilitator. This will be your opportunity to receive feedback and interact with the WMU course facilitator. Your course facilitator will look forward to answering any questions you may have and provide any further information that will assist you in knowing more about how preschoolers learn.
Here is the course outline:
Begin your learning with an introduction and overview of this course.
Gain information and insights as you learn about the course topic.
Connect what you are learning with your leadership role.
Solidify and assess your learning experience.
5. Next Steps
Discover ways to increase and expand your learning.